Studying at the Summer University of Jyväskylä

Lovely to see you’ve found us and are interested to study at the Summer University of Jyväskylä! Here you can find some basic information for students.

To whom are studies aimed for?

Our courses are available for everyone and they are organized under the Finnish law of Liberal adult education. It means there are usually no requirements for specific previous studies. Our courses are mainly short-term studies and don't lead to a degree. They support your personal and professional development.

Some of the Summer University functions have a particular target audience. For example the professional supplementary education/ further vocational training is tailored especially to professionals working in the occupational field in question. University of the 3rd Age and JYUniorit functions offer education for the elderly and children and/or youth respectively.

Are there courses for non-Finnish speaking students?

The vast majority of our courses are taught in the Finnish language and participants need to have sufficient language skills in Finnish. We also provide some Finnish language courses for foreigners and immigrants. You can see our current course selection on our web page.

Study fees, registration and payments

There are course fees for studies. The fee is mentioned in the course details. Each course has a limited amount of places. Places are given in order of the registration on a first come, first served basis unless noted otherwise.

Registration will take place on our website. Normally you can register and pay the course fee immediately after the registration on our web page using a credit card or Finnish online banking.

NB. For the Finnish intensive courses you need to register first on our web page and you will later get the payment instructions from the office.

Cancellation terms

The registration is binding and the following terms apply.

  • If the cancellation is made over 14 days before the start of the course, 20% of the price of the course will be billed as a cancellation fee. If the cancellation is made after that, the price of the course will be billed in full.
  • Please notice that simply not paying the course fee is not considered a cancellation!
  • The cancellation is to be made by e-mail or by mail. We do not accept cancellations by phone or text messages.

Course location

Courses that are taught in person are usually organized at the campus of the University of Jyväskylä and other locations in the City of Jyväskylä. Please always check the course details to avoid misunderstandings. 

What about visas, immigration permits or residence permits?

The Summer University does not handle questions on these issues. Please contact your country's embassy if you have such questions and make sure, if you need a visa or other permits to study in Finland. Please notice that our courses are short-term studies and do not lead to a degree. 

NB! Citizens from EU / ETA don't require a visa to visit Finland and if you stay less than 90 days in Finland you don't need to register your residence. Citizens from other countries: you may need at least a visa and/or other permits. Please read more at the web pages of the Finnish ministry of foreign affairs.